Brentford High Street, the heart of Brentford in West London, is embarking on a new chapter in its development.
In 2006, after many years of waiting for re-development of the town centre that had never arrived, our community took into our own hands the challenge of breathing new life into the heart of the town. This has been moved forward by bringing the local business community , residents and our local council together round the table in a Steering group.
Together we are putting in place short and medium term plans to improve the shopping experience that High Street Brentford offers. At the same time we have used a community planning process to develop a clear view of what a sustainable future for the High Street looks like - see Brentford High Street - The Community Vision . This aims to create a more vibrant shopping area that respects the history of the town and is also a world-class model for High Street regeneration elsewhere. The process is being supported by local Syon and Brentford ward councillors and our local MP.
Please consider coming to one of our monthly open meetings. These take place at 6.30pm on the third Monday of every month at Quilliam Property Services, 206 High Street, Brentford.
- Sunday 12 May 2013: BHSSG co-ordinated Brentford Market will launch in Market Place, running weekly 10am-2pm
- Friday 29 March 2013: Part time freelance post of Brentford Market Manager JD for BHSSG is readvertised. Whilst we have had strong applications in the first round, we feel a second round of interviews is needed to be sure we have the right person for a challenging role. Any new applications must be submitted by Fri 5 April to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tues 12th March 2013: BHSSG Chair Andrew Dakers, Brentford Chamber of Commerce President Suzie Betlem and Marcia Hallett of Naked Grain feature in this report by BBC London's Tim Donovan on Brentford High Street. The story was also picked up on the front page of The Hounslow Chronicle.
- Fri 22nd Feb 2013: BHSSG, Brentford Chamber of Commerce and Brentford Community Council sent joint letter to Brendon Walsh (Director of Planning at LB Hounslow) calling for the Council to negotiate improvements to the Town Centre planning application in six specific areas
- Thurs 14th Feb 2013: Part time freelance post of Brentford Market Manager for BHSSG is advertised - applications must be submitted asap to email@example.com
- Mon 11th Feb 2013: Tickets for The Summer Ball - to raise funds for the 2013/14 Christmas lights - are now available from firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed 30th Jan 2013: BHSSG submit our license application to LB Hounslow for a six month pilot Food Market in Brentford town centre - it will run from late April to early September every Sunday, with support from the National Lottery and Portas Pilots programme
- Tues 18th and Wed 19th Dec 2012 from 12.30pm till 7.00pm: Find out more about the Making the Connection Project and have a tea, coffee and mince pie to discuss the proposals at the former Opticians at the junction of Tallow Rd / Brentford High St. This is an exciting arts, lighting and landscape project funded by the Mayor’s Outer London Fund and London Borough of Hounslow which is currently being project managed by ISIS and The Canal & River Trust. The project aims to improve links between the Great West Road and Brentford High St for cyclists and pedestrians through improvements to spaces like Market Place on the High St, the canal-side sheds north of the town centre and other ‘meanwhile’ uses to activate the town centre and canal. If you can’t make the consultation sessions then please visit the website www.thebrentfordconnection.com for more information about the project and to comment on the proposals.
- 4 Dec 2012: LB Hounslow Cabinet approves the paper "Proposed Disposal of Land and Assets, South of High Street, Brentford" and related Appendix. The cabinet decision: "agreed in principle to the disposal of land and property to Ballymore as set out in the report (see Appendix A), subject to paragraph 2.3 of the report and to their receipt of planning consent and suitable terms being agreed; authorised the Director of Regeneration, Economic Development and Environment to negotiate the sale of those assets in consultation with the Lead Member for Planning and Regeneration; [and] agreed in principle the use of a compulsory purchase order to help facilitate the development subject to a future detailed report prior to any recommendation to full Council." BHSSG supports this step forward in the planning process, but notes that the Council must think carefully about what "best value/consideration" means in the context of a sustainable regeneration. Seeking the highest price (and not looking at wider social value achieved through a lower financial return) may undermine achieving the planning policy objectives for the town centre.
- 21 November 2012: Andrew Dakers presentation to the public meeting on Wednesday 21 November . Read the BrentfordTW8.com meeting report here.
- 9 November 2012: Ahead of a Public Meeting on Wednesday 21 November 2012 (St Pauls Church 7-9pm) Brentford High Street Steering Group is setting out what it supports with current proposals from Ballymore - and where substantial improvements are needed. Download a poster to put in your window and sign the petition.
- 18/19 September 2012: Ballymore submit their planning application for the South side of High Street Brentford - progress, but plenty of improvements needed
- Fri 2 August 2012: Community expresses its "disappointment" at Ballymore's proposed planning application for the South side of Brentford High Street
- Tues 24 July 2012: Olympic Torch Procession down Brentford High Street - watch the entertainment, market and torch in a production by local producer Pointsource TV and also coverage on French TV channel TF1 -- and also browse the full photo album of the great day
- 1 - 3 June 2012: Queen's Diamond Jubilee weekend is celebrated in Market Place, Brentford Lock and The Butts
- 21 April 2012: St George's Day is celebrated in Market Place, Brentford Lock Piazza and MSO Marine
- 30 March 2012: The Steering Group submit our bid to the Portas Pilots programme with a supporting video
- 9/10 March 2012: Market Place came alive again with the Spring Market and live music alongside from the University of West London and Helen Martin Productions
- 2 February 2012: Boris Johnson switches on the Geometry laser light sculpture at Watermans Centre on Brentford High Street
- 17 January 2012: Brentford is successful in securing £1m of additional investment to the town centre and surround from the Mayor's Outer London Fund
- 28 December 2011: Tracey Emin discusses role of public art as Guest Editor on The Today programme BBC Radio 4
- 21 December 2011: Brentford High Street Steering Group comments on Mary Portas' high street report
|Brentford High Street Steering Group|
|Visit this group|